09 December 2005

And The Winning Unit Is




Constituted in the regular Army on 2 February, 1901 at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, the 14th Cavalry Regiment was baptized in fire in 1903 in the insurgency campaigns of the Philippines. Upon successful completion of that campaign in 1906, the Regiment then returned home to the United States and took up garrisons in the Pacific Northwest, where it assumed peacetime duties. The Regiment was again called back to the Philippines in 1909, although this time it was only engaged in garrison duties and training.
Then in 1912, the Regiment was called for service in the Mexican campaign, joining General "Black Jack" Pershing's expeditionary forces in the summer of 1916, chasing bandits throughout the dust and heat of the Mexican plains. The Regiment then returned back to Texas, where it began the task of border patrolling until 1918, when it was called into service in Europe. The Armistice at Versailles was signed before the Regiment could cross the Atlantic, and the Regiment reassumed its' border patrol mission.
In 1920, the 14th Cavalry moved to Iowa, and for approximately the next two decades served in peacetime capacity. In 1942, the Regiment was inactivated, and from its' lineage came the 14th Armored Regiment. On 28 August 1944, the 14th Cavalry Group sailed for Europe, where it landed on Omaha Beach on 30 September 1944, and pressed east. On 18 October, the unit was split with the 18th Squadron attached to the 2nd Infantry Division, and the 32nd Squadron attached to the 83rd Infantry Division.
On 12 December 1944, the headquarters element regained its' autonomy, and began guarding the Losheim Gap in Belgium. Then, on 16 December 1944, its' turrets rang in anger as the 14th Cavalry Group received the full brunt of the German winter counter-offensive in the Battle of the Bulge. After two days of savage fighting, the unit re-assembled at Vielsam, Belgium and was attached to the 7th Armored Division. On 23 December 1944, the unit held the southern flank of the perimeter, and allowed friendly troops to withdraw. On 25 December 1944 the unit was re-equipped, attached the XVIII Airborne Corps, and moved back into the "Bulge" to push back the Nazi foe.
After the bloody and brutal fight in the Ardennes, the regiment was assigned to the 3rd U.S. Army, and ended the war near the Austrian border. After the Armistice, the Regiment was re-flagged as the 14th Constabulatory Regiment in the U.S. Army of Occupation. The Regiment was later re-designated the 14th Armored Cavalry Regiment in 1948, and served on the border, guarding freedom's frontier to include the Fulda Gap, until the colors were cased in 1972.
The Regiment was then activated again on 15 September 2000 as the U.S. Army's first Reconnaissance, Surveillance, and Target Acquisition (RSTA) Squadrons in the Stryker Brigade Combat Teams. 1st Squadron, assigned to 3d BDE, 2d ID deployed in support of OIF 2, and was relieved by 2d Squadron, which was assigned to 1st BDE, 25th ID. 4th Squadron, assigned to the 172d SBCT assumed the mission in Iraq subsequent to the redeployment of 2-14 in September 2005. The newest Squadron, 5th Squadron, began its history on 13 October 2005 as part of 2d BDE, 25th ID at Schofield Barracks, HI.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counters